Find Your Physical Therapy Degree Program
Learn what physical therapy degree you'll need in order to become a physical therapist.
Learn About the Many Physical Therapy Degree Programs
Once you've decided a career in physical therapy is for you, you'll need to assess the many physical therapy degree programs available. Because there are several career paths you can take, it's important to understand what's required to begin your practice, and what physical therapy degrees will help you stay ahead of the competition. Here are the different degrees you can earn:
Available Physical Therapy Degree Programs
|Degree Type||About the Program|
|Associate's Degree||Physical therapy assistants must earn a 2-year associate's degree in order to practice. In addition to the theory and practice of physical therapy, you'll study the basic medical sciences, general education courses and gain hands-on experience in a clinical internship.|
|Bachelor's-to-Master's||These joint bachelor's/master's physical therapy degree programs allow you to earn both degrees on an accelerated schedule.|
|Direct Entry Master's (MPT)||These physical therapy degrees give students credit for having completed their liberal arts requirements and combine preparation for licensure with advanced training in a master’s specialty area. Direct entry MPT programs typically take 2-to-3 years to complete, with the first year being devoted to entry-level coursework and the last year to clinical practice.|
|Direct Entry Doctorate (DPT)||DPT programs prepare graduates with bachelor’s degrees in other fields for entry into the PT profession. Most programs can be completed in three years.|
|Transitional DPT||A two year doctorate program developed specifically for practicing PTs who want to "bridge the gap" between their certificate, bachelor's or master's degrees in physical therapy and earn their Doctor of Physical Therapy degree.|
Education and Career Guide
- Training & Education Time to completion, what you'll study and more.
- Physical Therapist Assistant How to become a PTA.
- Guide to Degrees From DPTs to Transitional MPTs, we’ve sorted it all out for you.
- Financial Aid Questions? We've got answers.
- Student Interview Find out what physical therapy school is really like.
- All About Physical Therapy Jobs What is a physical therapy job like?
- Salary Information How much can you earn as a physical therapist?
- Licensing Guide to physical therapy licensing requirements & exams.
- Physical Therapist Assistant Profile An inside look at physical therapy assistant careers.
- Accreditation & Organizations Physical therapy resources.