Pharmacy Technician Salary Information
Find out what you'll earn in a career as a pharmacy technician.
Pharmacy Technician Salary
According to the most recent data published by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics in the 2012-13 Occupational Outlook Handbook, the median annual salary for pharmacy technicians is $28,400. Depending on where you work, your salary may increase, as rates can be higher in hospitals than in grocery or drugstores.
A full-time pharmacy technician will typically be offered a benefits package including health care, vacation and holiday pay and sick leave and a 401(k) plan.
Pharmacy Technician Job Outlook
According to the BLS employment of pharmacy technicians is expected to grow by 32 percent through 2020, much faster than the average for all occupations. As a result of advances in pharmaceutical research, more medications are being prescribed to fight diseases. And an aging population, who are staying healthier longer with help from advances in technology and medicine, will drive growth in the industry.
Pharmacy technicians have a variety of backgrounds, but the BLS reports that 76 percent have some amount of college-level training, while 16 percent of their fellow technicians have a high school diploma or equivalent. Job prospects should be excellent for pharmacy technicians, particularly those with formal training and experience in retail settings.
Source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics wage data published March 27, 2012, Pharmacy Technicians.
*The salary information listed is based on a national average, unless noted. Actual salaries may vary greatly based on specialization within the field, location, years of experience and other factors. National long-term projections of employment growth may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions, and do not guarantee actual job growth.
Career and Education Guide
- Career Outlook Encouraging statistics on the future of the pharmacy technician profession.
- Salary Info What do pharmacy technicians earn? Find out here.
- Professional Interview First-hand information about working as a pharmacy technician.
- Training & Resources A list of important organizations for pharmacy technicians.
- Info for Canadian Pharmacy Technicians Pharmacy tech jobs are plentiful in Canada. Find out why.
- Choosing a School What you need to know about getting the best pharmacy technician training.
- Online Courses How an online pharmacy tech program works and what courses are offered.
- Pharmacy Technician Certification Employers want certified pharmacy techs. Learn how to get certified.