Pharmacy Technician Certification in Canada
Your one-stop Canadian pharmacy technician career center.
With an increased number of online and mail order pharmacies, as well as a healthy cross-border marketplace, the Canadian pharmacy industry is strong.
Certification is not required for Canadian pharmacy technician jobs. However, most employers seek job candidates who are either enrolled in pharmacy technician school or who have earned their certification.
Qualifying for Canadian Certification
In order to become certified, you must pass the Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada (PEBC) certification exam. And in order to qualify to take the exam, you will need to meet certain eligibility requirements.
Eligibility criteria to take the Evaluating Examination includes 2,000 hours of work and/or teaching experience in the past 36 calendar months. Upon passing, you may then take the Qualifying Examination.
Direct eligibility—meaning you don’t have to take the Evaluating Exam—to take the Qualifying Examination includes completion of and/or passing one of the following:
- Completion of a Canadian Council for Accreditation of Pharmacy Program (CCAPP) or
- Passed the Ontario College of Pharmacists (OCP) Certifying Exam or
- Passed the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board of Albany Certifying Exam or
- Successful completion of the PEBC Pharmacist Evaluating Exam or
- Completion of an accredited pharmacist degree program in Canada or the U.S.
- Canadian Association of Pharmacy Technicians (CAPT) is a non-profit, professional organization for pharmacy technicians and the best resource for anyone interested in becoming a pharmacy technician in Canada.
- Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada (PEBC) is the national board for certification of pharmacy technicians in Canada.
- Canadian Society of Hospital Pharmacists is a strong advocate for improving the pharmaceutical practice. They have branches in every province and are an excellent resource for pharmacists and pharmacy technicians in Canada.
FIND A SCHOOL TODAY
Tell us a little about yourself and we’ll connect you with schools that offer pharmacy technician degree programs.