Info About Vet Technician School
Find out what classes you need to take to complete your veterinary technician education.
Courses You'll Take at Vet Technician Schools
A good vet technician school will prepare you for the Veterinary Technician National Exam (VTNE) and immediate placement in a clinic or laboratory. Additionally, accredited veterinary technician programs are required to include internship/externship opportunities in their curriculum. Be sure to look for these features when you consider program options.
Whether you choose an associate’s or bachelor’s degree, you must have a basic understanding of animal nursing, performing laboratory procedures, and assisting in all aspects of animal care, including surgical procedures. The process to become a certified veterinary technician and VTNE information is overseen by the American Association of Veterinary State Boards (AAVSB). Some courses in a typical veterinary technician education curriculum include:
- Animal nursing
- Public health
- Zoonotic diseases
The Veterinary Technician National Exam
The VTNE is a 4-hour, 200 multiple choice question certification exam. The VTNE is prepared exclusively by the AAVSB. You can take the exam at certain times of the year in your state. The exam covers seven major areas of knowledge in which an entry level candidate with a veterinary technician education should be proficient:
- Pharmacy and pharmacology
- Surgical preparation and assisting
- Dentistry procedures
- Laboratory procedures
- Animal nursing
- Radiography, ultrasound, etc.
Practice exams may be purchased on the AAVSB website.
Education and Careers
- Veterinary Technician Education Read about course information and requirements toward your certification.
- Certification Information Learn what you need to do to become a certified veterinary technician.
- School Accreditation Get information about the benefits of attending an accredited vet tech school.
- Professional Interview Read the interview of an experienced veterinary technician and get an inside look at the profession.
- Training Information Find out how to choose the right education program and internship.
- Career Options Discover some of your options when you are choosing a veterinary technician career.
- Job Information Find out the responsibilities of a veterinary technician and the tasks they perform.
- Veterinary Tech Specialties Check out some of the specialties a veterinary technician career offers.
- Salary Information Find information about the earning potential of different veterinary technician jobs.
- Veterinary Assistant Career Learn about getting into the field as a veterinary assistant and the duties they perform.
- Resources and Links Browse a compiled list of vet tech resources to research your certification.