Become a Veterinary Technician
Learn the tasks, trials—and benefits—of a career as a veterinary technician.
Become a Veterinary Technician
Choosing to become a veterinary technician means caring for all kinds of creatures, from poodles to platypuses.
By combining your love of animals with what you do for a living, you not only have a positive impact on the lives of animals, you enrich the quality of your own life as well. Use our veterinary technician guide to make intelligent choices about your education, and ultimately career, options in the fast-growing veterinary medicine field.
Depending upon the work environment you choose, the daily routine when you become a veterinary technician can vary a great deal. Vet techs who work in research laboratories may be responsible for the care and feeding of animals, as well as documenting their behavior. Continue reading the veterinary technician job description.
Keep in mind that the compensation you get from your vet tech job is more than just your base pay. As you consider which job to take, you should also look at the benefits package. Learn about factors that may increase your earning potential, so that you'll know what kinds of things you can do to boost your vet tech salary.
Vet Tech Interview
“We are like registered nurses, but for animals,” explains Mary Mould, a registered veterinary technician with over 17 years of experience. Mould, who has always loved animals and grew up with them around the house, chose to pursue a career as a vet tech after her children were grown. Read more about Mary Mould's experience as a veterinary technician.
How should you go about choosing a vet tech school? Find out what kinds of things you should consider when it comes to your education, how to make the most of your school experience, and how to make sure you'll qualify for vet tech certification. Take the first step toward your career by learning what vet tech training is all about.
Veterinary Technician Career Information
A veterinary technician career can take you in a number of different directions. Get insight on what you'll need to know to succeed as a veterinary technician, from the skills you'll need to learn in school, to what to expect in the industry. Read more about a veterinary technician career.
Veterinary Technician Specialties
Whether you want to work with animals who need emergency procedures, work in a zoo, or work specifically with a certain type or size of animal, there are opportunities to specialize your veterinary technician career. Learn more about the various career specialties available, so you can assess the veterinary technician specialty that's right for you.
Education and Careers
- Veterinary Technician Education Read about course information and requirements toward your certification.
- Certification Information Learn what you need to do to become a certified veterinary technician.
- School Accreditation Get information about the benefits of attending an accredited vet tech school.
- Professional Interview Read the interview of an experienced veterinary technician and get an inside look at the profession.
- Training Information Find out how to choose the right education program and internship.
- Career Options Discover some of your options when you are choosing a veterinary technician career.
- Job Information Find out the responsibilities of a veterinary technician and the tasks they perform.
- Veterinary Tech Specialties Check out some of the specialties a veterinary technician career offers.
- Salary Information Find information about the earning potential of different veterinary technician jobs.
- Veterinary Assistant Career Learn about getting into the field as a veterinary assistant and the duties they perform.
- Resources and Links Browse a compiled list of vet tech resources to research your certification.