Surgical Technologist Education Resource Center
Find everything you'll need to know in order to become a surgical technologist.
Even though the surgeon gets all the credit for a successful surgery, the life of a patient depends in a very large part on the diligence and competence of the surgical technologist.
Surgical technologists are key members of the surgical team and as you'll need a cool head, a quick mind and an iron stomach to perform your job. Your duties will include preparing and sterilizing the OR for surgery, transporting patients to and from the OR, passing instruments to the attending surgeon, retracting the patient's tissues and suturing incisions.
Because contamination in the OR could be life-threatening for the patient on the table, the importance of the surgical tech cannot be underestimated.
It's a great time to consider career training for a surgical technician job. Demand for these professionals is projected grow 19 percent through 2020, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics' 2012-13 Occupational Outlook Handbook.
Read the surgical technologists job description.
Surgical Technologist Salary
Three-quarters of surgical technologists work in hospitals, but you might be surprised where they command the highest salaries.
Continue reading about your surgical technician salary.
Surgical Technologist Certification
Education and Career Guide
- Certification Learn how to become a certified surgical technologist.
- Surgical Assistant vs. Surgical Tech Find out what role a surgical assistant performs in the operating room.
- Online Training Learn why online surgical technician training is so appealing.
- Job Description Read about a Surgical Technician's Responsibilities.
- Salary Information Find information about salaries for different surgical technician positions.
- Career Tips Discover the keys to a successful career as a surgical technician.
- The Phases of a Surgical Technologist Learn the importance of a surgical technician's job in the operating room.