Ultrasound Technician Certification
Learn what you need to know to get your ultrasound technician certification.
Certification and Licensing
Although no state requires ultrasound technician certification, getting your certification or licensure in diagnostic medical sonography can be a good move. There are several organizations that certify the competency of sonographers through registration. Because registration provides an independent, objective measure of an individual's professional standing, many employers prefer to hire registered sonographers.
Ultrasound Tech Certification
In order to sit for the national certification exam given by the American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (ARDMS) you must have an associate's or bachelor's degree from an accredited program. Upon passing the general physical principles and instrumentation exam—in addition to passing an exam in a specialty such as obstetric and gynecologic sonography, abdominal sonography or neurosonography—sonographers become registered diagnostic medical sonographers (RDMS).
To keep your registration current, you must complete continuing education to stay abreast of technological advances related to the occupation. The American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT) also tests and certifies medical sonographers and administers continuing education and ethics requirements for annual registration.
The First Step? Get an Education
Getting your education is the first step toward achieving ultrasound technician certification and starting your career. Search our directory of ultrasound schools, request information from programs that interest you, and get started today.
Medical Imaging Education and Career Guide
Medical Imaging Education
- Career Guide Home
- Medical Imaging Degrees
- Earning Your Degree from an Accredited Program
- Scholarships and Financial Aid
- Choosing Your Radiology School
- Radiologic Tech School Specialties
- What's a Radiologic Tech Training Program Like?
- Why You Should Choose an ARRT Accredited School
- Choosing Your Ultrasound Technician Program
- Ultrasound Tech Certification
- Ultrasound Education Specialties
- Ultrasound Tech Training
Medical Imaging Careers
- Cardiovascular Technologist Careers
- Nuclear Medicine Technologist
- Medical Imaging Career Paths & Duties
- Radiation Therapist Careers
- Diagnostic Medical Sonographer Career Outlook
- Medical Imaging Salaries
Radiologic Tech Career
- How to Become a Radiologic Technician
- Careers in Radiologic Technology
- Radiologic Tech vs. Nuclear Medicine Tech