Medical Billing and Coding Resource Center
Learn all about medical billing and coding training and careers.
What is Medical Billing and Coding?
Medical coders update patient files using a universally recognized coding system (ICD-9 index) to ensure compliance with federal regulations and insurance requirements.
Medical billing is a subspecialty of medical coding. Although there are programs that offer medical billing training by itself, a program that combines both billing and coding in one training program will be more complete, since medical coding is the first step in the medical billing process.
Medical Billing and Coding Salaries
Read the medical billing and coding salary article to learn what you can expect to make. Learn what kind of things affect your earning potential and what you can do to boost your wages.
Work at Home
There's more to starting your at-home medical billing or coding business than installing software on your computer and letting doctors know you're open for business. To avoid the heartache of starting a business that loses money, or being taken advantage of by medical coding software scams, here are two important articles you should read first:
Pamela Hills—Medical Coder
Pamela has 12 years as a medical coder at St. Peter's Hospital. She considers herself a kind of investigator, solving cases by tracking down diagnoses, lab procedures and symptoms. Read Pamela's interview...
Roberta Hudgins—Medical Billing and Coding Training Student
Roberta is learning medical terminology and how to find the right codes in the ICD-9 (soon to be replaced by the ICD-10) index. She found work at an ophthalmologist's office before graduating from her medical billing and coding training program and knew just what to do her first day on the job. Read what Roberta has to say about being a medical billing and coding training student.
Get Started Now on Your Medical Billing and Coding Career
Having sampled some of the career resources we're offering, why not dig a little deeper and see if medical billing and coding is the career for you? Use our handy table of contents on the right to find more education and career articles on this fast-growing field of health care.
Education and Career Guide
- Medical Billing and Coding Training What to expect in medical billing and coding school.
- Student Interview The inside scoop on medical coding school.
- Choosing a Degree Tips for choosing the right program.
- Course Info Information on common medical billing courses.
- Online Courses The advantages of learning online.
- Scholarships and Financial Aid Financial aid and scholarship info.
- Accreditation Why accreditation is important.
- Career Description All about medical billing and coding jobs.
- Specialist Interview Insider's view of a medical coding career.
- Certification Types of medical billing certification.
- Salary Information Salary info for medical billing professionals.
- Medical Billing Companies vs. Self-Employment Compare working at medical billing companies to self-employment.
- Writing a Résumé Tips for perfecting your resume.
- Updating the Medical Billing System Learn about new developments in the medical billing system.
- Is an At-Home Business for You? Tips for starting your at-home business.
- Write a Business Plan What to include in your medical billing business plan.
- Medical Billing and Coding Software How to avoid software scams.
- CPT Codes Familiarize yourself with industry codes.
- Professional Terms Glossary Guide to medical billing terms.