Medical Billing and Coding Terminology and Certifications
Learn how you can advance in your career by becoming certified. Learn the certifications and their acronyms.
Your job as a medical billing and coding professional requires you to learn a complex system of codes in order to communicate between physicians and insurance companies.
But before you begin your career, you'll need to decipher the complex world of medical billing and coding certifications that you can earn in order to get started.
Here are a few acronyms for professional associations and coding systems you will use as you begin your career and seek certification:
|Acronym||What it Stands For|
|AAPC||American Academy of Professional Coders|
|AHIMA||American Health Information Management Association|
|ICD-9-CM||International Classification of Diseases. This is the official system of assigning codes to diagnoses and procedures. The ICD-9 will be updated to the ICD-10 in October, 2014.|
Types of Certifications
There are many types of medical billing and coding certifications. Your work environment and level of experience may dictate which kind of certification is right for you:
CCA - Certified Coding Associate for new coders. Offered by AHIMA.
CCS - Certified Coding Specialist for experienced coders working in a hospital setting. Offered by AHIMA.
CCS-P - Certified Coding Specialist for experienced coders working in a physician-based setting. Offered by AHIMA.
CPC - Certified Professional Coder for coders with at least two years of experience working in a physician-based setting. Offered by AAPC.
CPC-H - Certified Professional Coder for coders with at least two years of experience in a hospital setting. Offered by AAPC.
CPC-P - Certified Professional Coder-Payer for experienced coders who demonstrate skills to adjudicate provider claims effectively. Offered by AAPC.
Education and Career Guide
- Medical Billing and Coding Training What to expect in medical billing and coding school.
- Student Interview The inside scoop on medical coding school.
- Choosing a Degree Tips for choosing the right program.
- Course Info Information on common medical billing courses.
- Online Courses The advantages of learning online.
- Scholarships and Financial Aid Financial aid and scholarship info.
- Accreditation Why accreditation is important.
- Career Description All about medical billing and coding jobs.
- Specialist Interview Insider's view of a medical coding career.
- Certification Types of medical billing certification.
- Salary Information Salary info for medical billing professionals.
- Medical Billing Companies vs. Self-Employment Compare working at medical billing companies to self-employment.
- Writing a Résumé Tips for perfecting your resume.
- Updating the Medical Billing System Learn about new developments in the medical billing system.
- Is an At-Home Business for You? Tips for starting your at-home business.
- Write a Business Plan What to include in your medical billing business plan.
- Medical Billing and Coding Software How to avoid software scams.
- CPT Codes Familiarize yourself with industry codes.
- Professional Terms Glossary Guide to medical billing terms.