Medical Billing and Coding Degrees
Find out which degree type is right for you.
Consider These Factors Before You Decide
Most coders entering the field have an associate's degree. If you are interested in management positions, you should consider earning a bachelor's degree in health information management or a related subject.
Nevertheless, there are a wide range of medical billing and coding degree options, including diploma, certificate, associate's and bachelor's degrees. When deciding which one is right for you, you should consider several different factors. There are a number of issues that influence the choice of a medical billing and coding degree program:
- Do you need to support a family while you're in school?
- Is this your first job or a career change?
- What are your future career plans?
Medical Billing & Coding Degree Options
- Certificate or Diploma: Certificate and diploma programs generally take nine months to one year to complete. These programs are offered by career colleges and community colleges. Career college programs usually have a faster time to completion.
- Associate's degree: Associate's programs last two years and provide general education curriculum that goes beyond medical billing and coding degree information. Both career colleges and community colleges offer associate's degree programs. If you are planning on advancing your education later in your career, the credits you earn while in your associate's program courses will count toward earning a bachelor's or master's degree.
- Bachelor's degree: At the bachelor's level, colleges and universities offer programs in health information management and health care administration, which take four years to complete and provide other general education curriculum. Earning a bachelor's degree will provide you with greater career options and can qualify you for management positions.
Education and Career Guide
- Medical Billing and Coding Training What to expect in medical billing and coding school.
- Student Interview The inside scoop on medical coding school.
- Choosing a Degree Tips for choosing the right program.
- Course Info Information on common medical billing courses.
- Online Courses The advantages of learning online.
- Scholarships and Financial Aid Financial aid and scholarship info.
- Accreditation Why accreditation is important.
- Career Description All about medical billing and coding jobs.
- Specialist Interview Insider's view of a medical coding career.
- Certification Types of medical billing certification.
- Salary Information Salary info for medical billing professionals.
- Medical Billing Companies vs. Self-Employment Compare working at medical billing companies to self-employment.
- Writing a Résumé Tips for perfecting your resume.
- Updating the Medical Billing System Learn about new developments in the medical billing system.
- Is an At-Home Business for You? Tips for starting your at-home business.
- Write a Business Plan What to include in your medical billing business plan.
- Medical Billing and Coding Software How to avoid software scams.
- CPT Codes Familiarize yourself with industry codes.
- Professional Terms Glossary Guide to medical billing terms.