Medical Billing and Coding Courses
Find out what medical billing and coding courses are like.
What You'll Study in a Medical Billing and Coding Course
As a medical billing and coding specialist, you'll need expertise in a wide range of areas—from anatomy and physiology to insurance claim procedures and medical office administration—in order to do your job. With this in mind, a typical medical billing and coding course will include the following classes:
- Anatomy and Physiology – Anatomy and physiology will give you a basic understanding of the human body's organ systems, their functions and how they work together.
- Insurance Claim Procedures – All medical billing and coding courses will offer a version of this class, which will train you in the standard procedures for filing an insurance claim.
- Medical Coding – Typical coding workshops in a medical billing and coding course will teach you how to apply Current Procedural Technology (CPT), International Classification of Diseases (ICD-9-CM) and Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System (HCPCS) codes.
- Medical Office Administration – Provides basic knowledge of how to keep a medical office running smoothly. You will learn how to take care of routine tasks such as greeting patients, scheduling appointments and handling other various clerical work.
- Medical Office Technology – Included with most medical billing and coding courses, this class will teach you how to use typical medical office equipment and software.
- Medical Terminology – All medical billing and coding courses offer this class, which will train you in the proper names for human anatomy, bodily processes, diseases and related medical procedures.
Get Started in Medical Billing and Coding Courses
Keep in mind that there will be differences in how each school names its medical billing and coding courses, but the education you receive should cover all or most of the above-listed subjects. If you're ready to start your training, browse our list of medical billing and coding schools, and request information about programs that interest you.
Education and Career Guide
- Medical Billing and Coding Training What to expect in medical billing and coding school.
- Student Interview The inside scoop on medical coding school.
- Choosing a Degree Tips for choosing the right program.
- Course Info Information on common medical billing courses.
- Online Courses The advantages of learning online.
- Scholarships and Financial Aid Financial aid and scholarship info.
- Accreditation Why accreditation is important.
- Career Description All about medical billing and coding jobs.
- Specialist Interview Insider's view of a medical coding career.
- Certification Types of medical billing certification.
- Salary Information Salary info for medical billing professionals.
- Medical Billing Companies vs. Self-Employment Compare working at medical billing companies to self-employment.
- Writing a Résumé Tips for perfecting your resume.
- Updating the Medical Billing System Learn about new developments in the medical billing system.
- Is an At-Home Business for You? Tips for starting your at-home business.
- Write a Business Plan What to include in your medical billing business plan.
- Medical Billing and Coding Software How to avoid software scams.
- CPT Codes Familiarize yourself with industry codes.
- Professional Terms Glossary Guide to medical billing terms.