Medical Assistant School and Career Resources
Your guide to medical assistant programs, certification and careers.
Medical Assistant Education and Career Overview
If you're the kind of person who needs to find challenge and meaning in your career, the medical assisting field could be a good fit for you. You'll handle a wide variety of tasks that take you from the front office to the exam room to the medical lab.
Whether you're ready to take your first steps on a career path or you're looking to take a different direction, medical assistant schools have a lot to offer. Not only are medical assistant jobs expected to grow 34 percent over the next few years (according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics), but you'll have the satisfaction of helping people on a daily basis and a variety of job duties that keep you from getting bored.
Explore our medical assistant resources to learn more about medical assistant training programs and careers. Find out if you have what it takes to succeed in this exciting field.
Medical Assistant Interview
5 years in field
What sparked your interest in becoming a medical assistant?
I saw a TV commercial about medical assisting that caught my eye. At the time, I was a single mother and I needed to find a way to make a decent living in order to support my daughter. It was the quickest and best way to get out of poverty.
I went to Maric College and took their certificate program in medical assisting which was about 10 months long. I was a horrible student in high school, but in college, I got good grades; I did really well. It was hard work, but because I was paying for school and because I was so motivated to learn, it was very satisfying.
Read more of our Interview with a Medical Assistant.
Medical Assistant Student Profile
Pima Medical Institute Graduate
What drew you to the medical assistant field?
I've always wanted to be in medicine, and this seemed like a great way to get into the field and see what it's like. Growing up, I was always intrigued by medical things. And my cousin is a medical assistant. He works in urgent care, and he really likes it. So with all that, it seemed like a good fit.
Read more of the Medical Assistant School Student Profile.
Education and Career Guide
- Medical Assistant Training Time to completion, classes and more.
- Accreditation Learn about the importance of accreditation.
- Choosing a Degree Diploma or associate's? What's best for you?
- Student Interview What it's like in medical assistant school.
- Scholarships & Financial Aid Got questions? We've got answers.
- Career Intro Find out what a medical assistant career is like.
- Top 5 Medical Assistant Duties Learn about typical medical assistant duties.
- Salary Information What to expect in a medical assistant salary.
- Top 5 Reasons to Become a Medical Assistant Learn why a medical assistant career may be for you.
- Certification 90% of medical assistants are certified. Find out what's required.
- Professional Interview Read a first-hand account about a medical assistant career.
- Professional Terms Glossary The guide to sorting it all out.