Build Your Résumé Through Experience
According to the American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE), more and more employers have begun to require master's degrees for positions that previously required a bachelor's. And many master's-level training programs include supervised internships as part of their curriculum.
Choosing a school with an internship and job placement program should be a top consideration when you research health care management colleges. Other resources for finding healthcare management internships include the following professional associations:
- LeadingAge (formerly the American Association of Homes and Services for the Aging)
- American College of Medical Practice Executives (ACMPE)
- American Hospital Association (AHA)
- Association of University Programs in Health Administration (AUPHA)
Landing an Internship
The process for obtaining a health care management internship will vary depending on your school. In general, though, you can expect to carry out these steps in your internship quest:
- Decide on the type of organization where you would like to intern—do you want experience in a hospital, clinic, nursing home, in outpatient care or another type of workplace?
- Set up interviews with potential organizations you'd like to work for, and with supervisors at each
- Upon acceptance, get any necessary approval from college program leaders
- Coordinate dates for the internship with your supervisory instructor
What to Expect from a Health Care Internship
A health care management internship can take on many forms, depending on the employer. Your main goal should be to gain experience in a wide variety of health care management divisions, particularly those that interest you the most.
During your internship, you can expect to perform tasks such as the following:
- Work on communications, marketing, administrative, research and other projects that pertain to both your interests and the organization's current needs
- Stay in contact with your supervisory instructor regarding internship tasks and health care management coursework
- Self-manage work projects based on classroom performance and instructor's input
- Complete a final project that pertains to the internship experience