How to Become a Dental Assistant
Your comprehensive guide to dental assisting training, certification and careers.
If you're looking for a new career, dental assisting offers great hours and benefits. You can get into the workforce easily through fast track certificate dental assisting training, or find an affordable diploma or associate's degree program that works with your schedule.
Dental assistant careers offer decent wages, a clean work environment and the ability to help others. Explore our dental assisting training resources to learn more about careers in the field.
Using the Career Guide
Click the links on the right to find everything you'll need to research careers in the dental assisting field. You'll find everything from training and certification information to scholarships and financial aid data to help you pay for your education. Read interviews with a dental assistant professional as well as a student attending vocational school to learn how to become a dental assistant.
Dental Assistant Professional Profile
Interview with Julie Wong
Recent Graduate from Seattle Vocational Institute
"I'm a natural care provider," says Julie Wong, referring both to her love for the health care field and her interest in holistic and natural healing. "I was a massage therapist for years, and I loved it. But I needed to make a career change. I wanted a career that would be easy on my body and wouldn't require me to rent a space and do everything myself. Dental assisting was a perfect fit."
Dental Assisting Training Student Profile
Interview with Hien Dang
Dental Assisting Training Student
Seattle Vocational Institute
Hien Dang chose her dental assisting school for its dedicated teachers and the clinic it offers the residents of its central Seattle neighborhood. "The teachers seemed really involved in making sure you know everything you need to know. You can tell that they really care."
Education & Career Guide
- Training & Certification Time to completion and testing breakdown
- School Accreditation How important is accreditation?
- Dental Assistant Degree Types Certificate or associate's degree?
- Scholarships and Financial Aid Many schools and organizations offer financial aid.
- Student Interview What dental assisting courses are like.
- Dental Assistant Schools Compare schools.
- About the Profession Dental assisting job description.
- Salary Information Wages vary in different areas.
- Work Environment Dental assisting can be done in a variety of different locales.
- Dental Assistant vs. Dental Hygienist These two important careers are similar. However, educational requirements differ.
- Top 5 Reasons to Become a Dental Hygienist Learn why a dental hygienist career may be right for you.
- Résumé Tips Get tips for writing your dental assistant resume.
- Professional Interview First-hand account of what it's like to be a dental assistant.
- Glossary of Terms The terms of the trade are easy once you understand them.